Saturday 13 September 2008

Some random thoughts

I'm beginning realise that I should probably actually think out what I want to say in a blog before I start writing one,as opposed to just staring at a blank screen and begin filling it with total rubbish! Possibly because I'm new to this blogging lark, but I am going to give it my best shot!

I've been settling in a bit more again this week, and hopefully my spanish is getting better! I feel that I've begun to master the public transport system, and can now get to at least three places on my own.I feel that this makes me queen of public transport, and I expect a crown! It is really great to begin to feel a little more like I know what I am doing, and it also feels like I'm getting my independance back which is great!

The challenges of being in another culture always seem to revolve around feeling a bit like a little child again - not understanding everything people are saying, not knowing what you are doing, not being able do the absolute simplest of things! That was really frustrating me, as I am used to feeling reasonabley intelligant and in control of my own life. But I'm beginning to realise that it may be a good thing to feel like this - I'm reminded of Jesus telling us that in order to enter the kingdom of heaven we have to become like little children. Its funny that even though Jesus says that its unimportant people who will be elevated, people in the church always aspire after importance. So I think its a good thing to feel a little unimportant,because it reminds me of some of the most important things Jesus said: andI willchoose to become like a little child, with all the confusion that brings, and I will embrace the humility! Even when I don't want to...

I also thought it would be good to write down some of the cultural differences that I've observed. I'm going to do this in list form:

1. The milk comes in bags.Cool but weird.

2. On the buses, if someone is sitting by the aisle they won't shift over to the window if that person gets off. This goes against all the rules I ever learned about bus ettiquette but there you go!

3. The food here is really tasty, I'm going to learn how to cook it all before I come back and wow you all with my new culinary talents! Its all quite salty, but still good. Its also really cheap to eat out here, and i think I've eaten so much fried chicken that I may actually turn into a chicken. Also, everything comes with rice, even when you go to takeaways. The combination of chips AND rice is ever so slightly carbtastic.

I can't think of any more right now - I should really have written them down when I thought of them! On Tuesday I move out to El Alfarero for good which I'm really excited about, it will be really great to get into more of a routine. I do love a bit of structure! I'll let you know more about that is going in my next post.

Love to you all!

Paula

5 comments:

Emma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma said...

hey!
sounds like ur settling in well. I miss bussing and juice in bags!!
Ur spanish sounded preeeetty good before, im teaching jo now so i can have a spanish speaking buddy since you left to go home haha or to bolivia....
barry is home from south africa now which is good :)
keep enjoying it!!
:) XXX

Christian Feminist said...

What comment did you delete? Was it innapropriate??

Ancelyna said...

Hi there!
So Bolivia is a bit like Estonia! Although we all spoke English and didn't make you speak Estonian :P
And we also have milk in bags, we also have milk in cartons but not in bottles. Bags are environmentally friendlier than cartons ;)
And we have that weird thing in buses as well, where people do not move over to the window seat. But those people are usually older and they justify it by bad hips or being overweight and thus having a hard time shifting over to the other seat.
And I guess we have good food here, like blood sausages and mashed potatoes with pork fat :P

AND I can agree with sarah biscuits Finnish friends :)

Ancelyna said...

Oh, in case it wasn't clear enough with the reference to Estonia.. it is Annely from.. Estonia ! :P